I stole this from Kelden Mercury’s blog who in turn nabbed it from Veles’ awesome blog. I find that this not only a fun way to get to know me more, but for me to take stock of my belief’s.
1. Do you use runes as a written language?
No. In my studies in MOAA I have used Hebrew. In witchcraft I haven’t really felt the need. I have looked at Ogham/Ogam but more as a historical interest rather than a magical tool.
2. Do you feel you have natural gifts such as (premonitions, hearing spirits) and if so do you think this is what led you to this path?
I have often received dreams or premonitions usually after a visit from my maternal grandmother. I’ve experienced a number of other psychically sensitive phenomena throughout my life and yeah it was a major motivation for me pursuing magical studies.
3. What deity do you work with if any and why?
Pretty much every deity I worked with was happy to work with me in ritual but no one offered to stick around as a patron/matron. In fact, the Irish gods and goddesses were flat out hostile to the idea of being worshipped or having devotees like the Greek or Hellenic pantheons.
4. Have you always worked with this same deity?
I’ve not aligned with any deity. The closest and most frequent figure in my life has been Sinann, associated with the River Shannon.
5. Do you use any personal items in your practice, (blood, semen, tears, urine, etc)?
Yes, have used hair. A few rituals have claimed an involuntary sacrifice mind you! 😉
6. Do you do past life readings or have ever had one done; who where you or how did you die?
Confession time… I did go through a phase of looking back into people’s past lives. I was with a group of friends that the hyper-realism of the process helped us stay connected. Do I think it was based on reality or history? Not a clue, but I ultimately abandoned it all because it was [re-]triggering to many people.
7. What is your favorite magical tool?
Oh tough one! I read once that the best gift that one could get for initiation is a chalice. I have a FREAKING gorgeous chalice gifted to me the weekend before my initiation into the Craft – which FYI no one knew was happening so the synchronicity comes to mind when I hold it!
8. What is a song or type of music that gets you into a Witchy mood?
Drumming definitely but honestly I’m always in a ‘Witchy mood’! lol
9. Where is the most magical place you have ever been?
A field in Co. Sligo I used to head to as a kid.
10. What animal is your familiar if any?
None. Currently between places but generally also house-sharing so animals aren’t an option.
11. If you have a familiar, did you choose them or did they choose you?
12. What in the Craft are you best at (tarot, spells, ritual,) etc?
I wish I could call myself a Pratchettian Witch to explain myself but tea works and not from tassomancy (though I have experimented a number of times successfully) but if I am forced to choose then Tarot.
13. What in the Craft would you say you are weaker at?
Dealing with hippy-dippy shit! Alas and alack it permeates so much of modern occultism.
14. What is your most favorite part of your Craft (spell writing, divination, etc)?
The mystical and deeply personal connection to the land and world around me. I suppose more in line with the question is the myriad of ways this can be achieved.
15. What was the first tool you ever purchased?
I was gifted my first Tarot deck but the first I ever purchased was probably a crystal still on my altar table.
16. What was your first homemade tool for your practice?
A very rough around the edges clay pentacle. I remember keeping it simple as I was confused by the initiatory Wicca stuff and feeling odd about copying it too much.
17. What are your feelings on raising kids in the Craft?
I understand that some Family covens bring young people in through rites of passage similar to those found in Catholicism (Confirmation) and Judaism (Bar Mitzvah), etc., but the Craft is an experiential path and I think magic is something with a bit of life experience behind you is better.
I am coloured by my traditions; Wicca and Golden Dawn though.
18. If you were a goddess or god, who would you be?
What a horrendous thought! Have you not read any of the mythos around gods? They have a shit time of it! :O Can we write a mythos where the God becomes a mortal and lives happily ever after? Kinda like Dr. Horrible…the anti-hero story!
19. Do you use astrology in your practice? In what ways?
I promise I will give this more time eventually! Its honestly not my fault that I got swept up in a thesis and life.
20. What if any ways could you practice dark magic and still respect the beliefs of Wicca?
This question actually nullifies itself! Mainly it assumes that Wicca is this one monolith of praxis when its so very diverse.
I am open to learning about action and when to magically take action to help better my family and my community.
21. Do you have any Witches in your family?
…Oh wait you said Witches…with a ‘w’. Nope none of those. 😀
22. What item can you not Witch without?
If I am there and present I am the best item I could need. We’re like the scouts in making use of what is around us supposedly.
23. What is your favourite Sabbat or time of year ritual?
Midsommer tends to be something big for me. That being said they all carry a different vibe. I loathe Bealtaine…in Irish cycles it was about the proclamation of wrongs and such but for me it just means friends explode.
24. Have you ever had a YouTube burn out?
Yes. So much sh1te!
25. What is your fav Witchy shop, and do they have an online store?
I’m trying not to laugh. In Ireland thats a hard no.
26. When buying Witchy items, do they choose you or do you choose them?
I’m clearly choosing them if I am in the shop doing the buying! This is more of the hippy-dippy jargon I loathe.
27. How do you organize your herbs/ingredients?
Assume does what now? I don’t have any storage space for herbs.
28. Do you have interest in other deities that you don’t work with; if so, which ones?
I like the stories and mythology of many, mostly Irish deities (note Celtic is too wide a label) but Egyptian, Roman and yeah any I can get my hands on.
29. Do you have a fav time of day to do spell work; if so, why?
When people are asleep…and because they are asleep. I get privacy.
30. Are you solitary or do you work with a coven?
31. If you could pick a certain Witchcraft tradition that fits your practice most what would it be (Druid, Celtic, Wicca etc)?
If you are reading this, sorry Kelden but Shamanism hails from the Siberian region not Celtic regions. Its also not a tradition of witchcraft. Some of the witchcraft traditions amongst the colonial diaspora either shun the label witchcraft or have their own terms so describing them as either “shamanic” or “witchcraft” is a bit of a problem for cultural appropriation by Neopagans.
With this in mind, I am an initiate of Traditional Wicca. This is not necessarily my personal praxis as I don’t have the benefit of a coven to aid me.
32. What was the most creative spell you have ever done. What did you use?
My, my aren’t we very curious! Sorry this one is sensitive so stays with me. Plus I have to keep an air of mystique 😉
33. What do you prefer for divination (tarot, oracle, runes, etc.) and why?
Tarot. I love the symbolism in the cards which draws from so much communal history.
34. What are some ways you keep yourself grounded?
Deep breathing exercises. Mindfulness meditation. After ritual I eat like a pig! My waistline is proof positive of this.
35. Have you ever had a spell go horribly wrong?
36. What are your opinions on initiation rituals?
Complicated. Initiation is often understood from a very secular perspective prior to initiation and so many people I’ve spoken with post-initiation tend to be in shock with the psychic surgery that has transpired.
I lucked out with my initiations but I have had the benefit of folk who have explained the process pretty well to me and consider it a huge responsibility.
37. Have you ever had full contact with your deity; if so, what happened?
I have been contacted by certain godforms and spiritual beings but once again I struggle over owning a deity.
38. What about you is unwitchy?
My clothing choices. I’m more broke student than gothic witchy!
39. For the dating Witch, how do you tell a new love interest that you are a Witch?
Actually yeah I’ve done this with some *ahem* interests but not with boyfriend: “Bring them to my bedroom and laugh as the realization dawns on their face”. Honestly, this is a work in progress, I have tried tossing it out as a non-issue but I think it is for me. I’m not very good at multi-tasking.
40. Who is a past Witch that has inspired you, famous or not?
I know its trite but Doreen Valiente…the more I read about her the more I am in awe.
41. How do you handle rejection from a fellow Witch that refuses to do a reading or spell for you?
Why would they be doing a spell for me? I’m the Witch! I have helped friends in rituals that needed a second or grounding force in that ritual but its not something I did because I expected it to be reciprocated.
Readings more people have said no than agreed. This is fair enough. I’ve had to refuse readings for lots of reasons.
42. Do you think it is necessary to cast a circle when you do spell work or any magical working?
I don’t think it’s necessary for EVERY magical working.
43. If Steven Spielberg called and wanted to make a movie of your life, who would you want to play as you?
Someone hot with a great ass! Totally go all Hollywood and the opposite to my natural beauty! 😉
44. What is some advice that was given to you that you pass along because it made an impact on your path?
45. What is some advice you would give someone who has not found their deity?
“I think we should first focus on the forms of there, their, they’re. Also, this question is literally stupid.” – Kelden Mercury
Yes this! Sorry but I have done quite well without being obsessed with deities.
46. Where do you buy your herbs?
Grr! I don’t do either! Look if I was pressed to use herbs (not my thing) I’d forage for them in local areas.
47. How did you feel casting your first circle (silly, scared, stumbling, etc)?
Giggy, tingly and then suddenly very cool as reality just sank in that I’d just done this very bizarre thing!
48. What was your first successful spell?
A curse. Cause you know like all Wiccans I’m all love’n’light fo sho! 😀
49. What is your general practice for meditation?
I light some candles and incense and commence the Four-Fold breathing.
50. Are you a day walker or a night comer?
OMG! Is this quiz actually referencing Penny Dreadful? If so, I totally call dips on being a night-comer! lol
51. How and when did you know you wanted to be on this path?
I always kind of knew but the name only came to be when I was 15 and friends with a dabbler. I soon realised that I was taking it seriously and he was just messing about.
52. What type of pagan are you (Wiccan, eclectic, hedge, etc)?
I’m a Wiccan.
53. What candle colour do you use most?
White. Tea-lights are easy no mess no fuss for the urban and rural witch alike!
54. What area would you like to see your Craft grow in?
Practice. Time and other fiscal constraints are getting in the way.
55. What is your preference, to buy or make your tools?
I’m with Kelden here, I like to either make my tools or find them through thrift shop or charity shops.
56. What fictional Witch book/screen inspired you the most?
Wait you mean Pratchett wrote fiction? :O But it seemed so real! 😥
57. With your first spell where you alone or in a coven?
All alone *sniff*
58. What is your favorite candle, incense scent for magical purposes?
Incense: Sage, nag champa, sandalwood, myrrh and frankincense.
59. Where is your favorite place to go to reconnect with nature?
Right now, a woodland area connected to a lake just of the River Shannon. My family also used to go their when my grandmother was a kid.
60. Do you believe in fantasy creatures (unicorns, gnomes, elves, fairies, etc)?
Yes – now hear me out because I study English Literature then fantasy creatures are legit characters in a lot of fantasy genre books. So choosing not to believe in them is going to make for awkward reading.
Magically, I am open to exploring the idea of elementals and beings innate in our world.
61. Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?
62. Would you ever teach the Craft?
It’s not really my goal in life but if a worthy student deemed me worthy I’d give it due consideration. Though I kind of feel that there are plenty of good teachers out there already so the “fit would have to be right” as Wiccans are renowned for saying.
63. What if any legal herb do you use for moods?
64. What is the most recent spell/ritual you have done? (slight detail please)
The Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram (LRP). This is mainly to do with my Golden Dawn training though. It works on the sphere of sensation (aura) of the magician (witch).
65. Do you have a happy place you go to during meditation?
Lol… Of course I have one. I was an introverted child. But the Happy Place is not a magical tool at best it is a self-help guided meditation.
I hope that what this question is aiming to ask is Inner Kingdom or Astral Temple. Nick Farrell’s Gathering The Magic is GREAT for exploring these concepts. Also Christopher Penzack discusses some of it in his series of books.
66. What is your favourite Witchy book?
“Gay Witchcraft” by Christopher Penzack still ranks fairly highly. “Natural Magic” by Doreen Valiente too.
67. Do you have a ritual to get ready before a ritual or spell? (what is it)
Deep breathing, such as the four-fold breathing after a ritual shower/bath.
68. Do you always use your own spells or do you tweak others?
Usually my own but often inspired by others. I can be a bit of a magpie.
69. Do you prefer spells/ritual inside or outside?
Inside. This is Ireland…brrrrgh! Also I prefer not to chase my ritual items all over the garden.
70. If you are coming from a Christian/Catholic background. Did you find the transition hard with family and the whole going to Hell thing? Basically leaving all you been told was right?
No, most Irish Catholics operate with a veneer of Christianity over very pagan practices. Irish Catholics aren’t so obsessed with Hell like some of their US counterparts.
71. What are your totem animals?
72. What are some things you reuse after spells/ritual work?
I’ll reuse candles for contemplation or meditation unless they were consecrated to a particular working or purpose.
73. Who helped you most when you [were] starting on your path?
When I was starting out on my path it was fairly solitary and lonely to be honest. Help didn’t come from any one particular person.
74. Do you know any good Witchy phone apps (like moon phases)?
I had a moon phases app but meh I prefer to feel the ebb and flow of the energies around the lunar cycle. Tried a planetary hours app too but it used a lot of phone memory.
75. What is your favorite magical study?
76. Outside of the YouTube and Facebook community, do you have a lot of witchy friends in the physical world?
77. Do you feel that the deities we work with are a force from one higher power and that all beliefs and religions are from the same one God/place?
Yes and no in that order.
Yes there is a source or One Thing and no that all beliefs and religions are from the One Thing, they are created by human beings (maybe with Divine guidance) and therefore the ineffable ray of truth is a bit like a jewel in the rough if I’m honest.
Many might think that I see the rough as lacking value but I like the character 😉