So let me first start off by saying that I hope you’ve all had a lovely and enjoyable Winter Solstice (Grianstad an Geimhreadh).
I’ve had a hectic few days as the Magical Order of the Aurora Aurea (MOAA) announced it’s decision to remove itself from the egregore of the Golden Dawn. This caused many people to scratch their heads and ask if we’d still be working the Golden Dawn rituals or were we completely disavowing them. Nick made his response over on his blog today. As you can see we’re not disavowing the rituals of the Golden Dawn but questioning the healthiness of the original Order’s egregore. The importance of this egregore is that whether one is new or old to the Golden Dawn system they are, by virtue of the name combined with their goals and praxis, linked to the original Order’s egregore.
As the announcement was made viral I was travelling home for the Christmas break. I was actually travelling home on the day of the Winter Solstice. In general this time of year marks the pinnacle of the winter season as the Child of Light returns bringing with it a sense of promise for a new dawn so to speak. Considering this motif and the timing of MOAA’s announcement a new dawn seems ironic.
With MOAA’s announcement Nick also outlined some of the Order’s principles in a more succinct manner:
- Fuse the Inner and Outer plane traditions of the Smaragdum Thallasses (as expressed by the Dion Fortune tradition and the pure Golden Dawn). This may seem like someone bumped their head and forgot that the S.T. was a part of the greater Golden Dawn tradition but no, as Nick has pointed out S.T., though a Temple of the Stella Matutina to begin with became an order and the temple became known as Whare Ra Temple of the Smaragdum Thallasses.
- To develop a scientific and individualist approach to magic. I know, magicians aren’t scientists and we don’t need to prove ourselves, but shessh does that ever miss the point! Scientific methodologies are an important method for self-reflection upon the magical path.
- Restore a balance between religions within magic so that a person might develop their own religious understanding free from [dependency on] any dogma. As you can see I’ve inserted the phrase “dependency on” as an understanding that religion is not the baddie here but that over-reliance on religion diminishes the individual’s ability to function.
- To provide magical training to those who are ready using the latest communication methods.
- To experiment with new methods of magical expression and to share that information. MOAA has always strived to develop fraternal relations through a certain amount of information exchange. The Western Mystery Tradition has suffered enough from individual’s capitalising on information as if it were bitcoin or something.
- To eliminate any discrimination within occultism on the basis of sex, religion, race, sexuality or beliefs.
- To establish better communication between Western Mystery traditions to the enhancement of our own. See point 5.
- To encourage each student to develop their magical gifts to the best of their ability so that they can take a pivotal role within an evolving humanity.
- To assist [each] student and adept in the attainment of their own spiritual destiny.
- To continue to study and adapt the Smaragdum Thallasses system. This one really could and probably will be a post of its own at a later stage. There has been a lot of confusion over the work and development of the Whare Ra Temple of the Smaragdum Thallasses Order from it’s foundation in the Stella Matutina Order and how it later influenced other magicians such as Dion Fortune and the Servants of the Light school.
- To create a magical order where practical techniques are given priority over intellectual understanding. Well, this may sound like we’re being overly pompous but its been our experience time and tide again that people coming to the WMT prioritise the intellectual to the detriment of all practical magic and invariably an experiential knowledge is never developed. In my own view, this is not simply a case of “oh we have oral lore you don’t know about from that book” but rather that there is a lot missing from the book that one can’t know.
There’s a lot of these principles that lend themselves to more active participation in society and the world around us. As many of you will be well aware of by now I’ve LONG been of the opinion that magic is there to help us and to help us help our loved ones and community. This isn’t to say that we should spoil ourselves demanding all sorts from the universe but that a healthier self, family, friends and community circle is beneficial on a larger to all.
There are many members of the Magical Order of the Aurora Aurea, and everyone has their own spiritual destiny or path to walk and many of them may have different understandings than myself.
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, if you celebrate I hope its a good one for you. If not, then may you find your path in Life and live it as beautifully and fully as you can.